Are you looking for a way to give back to your community? Duke Raleigh Hospital invites you to contribute your special talents to our volunteer service program.
Volunteers have always been a special part of the warm, personal touch that Duke Raleigh Hospital is known for.
Today we have a large corps of dedicated volunteers working all over the hospital. Their work is integral to the operation of many departments and their enthusiasm boosts the morale of the patients, visitors, and hospital staff.
Use Your Special Talents
People volunteer at Duke Raleigh Hospital for lots of different reasons and come from a myriad of backgrounds, but they all have at least one thing in common: they volunteer so they can use their special talents, learn new skills, and do the things they like to do.
Each summer high school students join our volunteer team. This provides an excellent opportunity for students to interact with health care professionals and learn in a medical environment.
The Right Job for the Right Person
Duke Raleigh Hospital volunteers are needed in all areas of the hospital. There are opportunities for people of all ages and skill levels. Volunteers operate computers, welcome the public, and assist patients throughout the hospital.
Duke Raleigh Hospital volunteers are asked to work a minimum of one four-hour shift per week. Volunteers are always welcome to work additional hours, but they are not required.
To learn about available positions and to download an application, choose the program that best fits you:
How to Become a Volunteer
- Complete an application and return it to the volunteer office
- Interview with the volunteer coordinator
- Complete a TB test and meet with our employee health nurse -- we can provide a TB test for adults; students must provide results of a negative TB test within the last year
- Complete and submit a criminal background check (adults 18 and older)
- Attend orientation
- Purchase a uniform ($22)
- Volunteer a minimum of one four-hour shift a week
A Little Thank You
Because our volunteers are so valuable to us, we offer the following benefits in appreciation:
- Pharmacy discounts
- Discounted membership at the Duke Raleigh Hospital Wellness Center
- $5.00 meal voucher in the Duke Raleigh Cafe for each four-hour shift
- Free parking
- Free flu shots
- Invitations to hospital events
- Volunteer banquet